New Delhi: Asthma is a chronic disease of the air passages of the lungs which inflames and narrows them. It is a common disease among children. At least 250,000 people die every year due to asthma disease in world. According to estimate about 300 million people in the world suffer from asthma.
As per the Asthma Society of India report, at present 25% of Indian population suffers from allergy and 5% of them are suffering from asthma. Its reasons have not cleared till now, but researchers suggest that it is caused by a combination of both genetic and environmental factors.
There are some major symptoms of asthma, given bellow–
- Coughing, especially at night
- Chest tightness
- Chest pain, shortness of breath
- Nasal congestion
- Signs of a cold or allergies
- Trouble sleeping
Asthma can’t be prevented, but you can control asthma attack by taking several steps on your own besides taking medications.
Here are some essential tips for asthma have been given below:
- Avoiding triggers and allergens – common allergens that cause allergic asthma are smoke, dust mites, pollens, molds, pet dander, and rodents.
- Wear a face mask if your asthma is worsened by cold or dry air.
- Try to discover which forms of exercise are best for people with asthma. Regular exercise can strengthen your lungs and heart, which helps relieve asthma symptoms.
- Maintain a healthy weight as being overweight can increase your risk of symptoms as well as other health problems.
- Learn how to manage stress to reduce your asthma symptoms.
- Eat a healthy, balanced diet that includes plenty of fresh and unprocessed foods. Since some people with asthma have food allergies that can trigger asthma attacks, it is best to consult with your doctor or dietician.
- Get regular checkups for your asthma.