NEW DELHI: Dera Sacha Sauda Chief and self- styled Guru Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh, who is rape conviction on Monday at 2:30 PM will be sentenced in the Sunaria Jail of Rohtak city where a special courtroom has been organized.
He was found guilty of raping with two followers. CBI court judge Jagdeep Singh, who pronounced the guilty verdict in the 2002 rape case against Gurmeet Ram Rahim on Friday, will be taken by a special helicopter for the sentencing.
The Rohtak police have warned that it may shoot at any sign of trouble or creation of any sedition, three days after violence and rioting by supporters of Ram Rahim’s Dera Sacha Sauda sect claimed 38 lives.
10 latest developments:
1. CBI special court judge Jagdeep Singh, who declared the Dera chief guilty of rape and criminal intimidation of the two women disciples in 2002.
2. “Anyone creating trouble will be given a warning first and if he still pays no heed, then he will have to face the bullet,” Rohtak Deputy Commissioner Atul Kumar told reporters.
3. All schools and colleges are closed in Haryana, and some also in neighbouring Punjab. Schools are also shut in Ghaziabad and Noida.
4. There are no traffic restrictions in Delhi and all schools are open, asserted the police.
5. On Friday, as soon as the judge held Ram Rahim guilty of rape, tens of thousands of his supporters burnt cars and buses, vandalized property and targeted the media and others in parts of Haryana.
6. More than 900 people have been arrested in Haryana since.
7. Nearly 30,000 followers of Ram Rahim, refusing to budge from the Dera main base in Sirsa town, were cleared out yesterday in scores of state-transport buses.
8. During searches at more than 130 Dera campuses in Haryana and Punjab, weapons were found; the police seized sticks, rods and material to make petrol bombs. Near the Sirsa campus, two AK-47s and a pistol were found in a car.
9. On Sunday, PM Modi said: “Those who take law in their hands or take to violence will not be spared, whoever they are.”
10. The BJP, which rules Haryana, has been accused of failing massively to prevent the outbreak of violence, underestimating the risk posed by the Dera crowds, and flying the Dera chief to jail in a chopper.