With all those Holi party invitations flying around, tempting foods, family obligations, endless shopping lists, too much bhang and a plethora of colours, people usually end up over-indulging. And then, comes the unavoidable hangover and hard work of scrubbing the colours off your skin.
The toxins and chemicals present in the synthetic colours can actually cause a host of problems. Here are some tips by Dr. Anup Dhir, Senior Cosmetic Surgeon, Apollo Hospital, which will keep you away from the skin troubles. Essential tips are important to use before and after playing Holi which are given below
* Use natural skin-friendly and herbal colours or the ones made by reputed companies using natural products.
* Apply a nice layer of oil to your hair before playing holi and try to protect it with a caps or hat.
* Wear clothes that cover maximum part of your body and also apply a thick layer of a good quality cream or oil to your skin.
* Use more of red or pink colours, which look good and can easily be taken off. Gaudy purple, green, yellow, orange have more harmful chemicals in them and should be avoided.
* Apply thick coating of paint on your nails — both in fingers and toes so that they remain protected.
* If irritation occurs wash off the colour from that part immediately.
* Cleaning the skin and hair finally of all the colours is the most important aspect. Do not rub the skin vigorously with soaps, etc. to wipe off the gulaal, instead, opt for a cleanser.
* Do not use kerosene, Petrol or spirits to remove the stains as this will further dry the skin.